Cleaning your metal roof helps preserve its look and keep it pristine. You don’t want your metal looks to destroy the look of your home; instead, you want it to be the focal point of your home’s curb appeal. But, cleaning the metal roof is important for more reasons than aesthetics. Getting rid of dirt and leaves may add more life to your roof. Cleaning the roof periodically also prevents debris, dust, and dirt from sticking to the roof, damaging the paint.
While cleaning the roof is not as simple as washing your car, it is worth the effort. Professional metal roofing companies do more than roof repairs and replacements. They offer good caring tips for their roofing and metal panels. Check out some tips to clean your metal roof perfectly with complete safety.
Tips for cleaning your metal roof
Safety is a significant aspect when it comes to metal roof cleaning. Metal is glossy, especially when you’re cleaning with cleaning agents and water. To clean a metal roof successfully, you should consider a few points:
- Don’t go on your roof all by yourself. It is possible that an accident may take place while the work is going on. So, having at least one person along with you is always suggested on the roof.
- The safety of the ladder is of equal importance when cleaning your roof. You should use cushioned stabilizers to preserve the paint or finish of the roof.
- Wear footwear without pebbles or debris stuck in the sole. These things can be damaging if you want to walk around on your roof.
- Consider wearing a fall prevention tool for additional safety. Harness yourself to keep yourself fully secured from falling.
- If you want to clean using cleaning agents, read the instructions on the product’s label. Some products are hazardous and may not be recommended for your roof.
Don’ts of metal roof cleaning
Do not such any abrasive chemical that can harm your roof, such as:
- Paint thinner
- Paint remove
- Brass and wire brushes
Steps to clean a metal roof
Here are the steps to follow when cleaning your metal roof:
Remove all debris, fallen leaves, and dirt from the roof: If you notice debris on your roof, use a brush to remove them and get a clean surface to begin the cleaning process.
Begin from the top: Start from the top of the roof so it will fall downhill while washing your roof. Start at the top and work your way down. With dirty water falling down the roof, you will get a cleaner roof with no dirt.
Use roof-friendly cleaning products: Do not use a wool scrubber, sandpaper, or paint thinner when cleaning your metal roof. The wire brush or high-pressure washers may scuff your panel and cause harm. Hence, keep them away.
Clean and rinse: Once you have cleaned all the panels using the cleaning liquid, you should rinse quickly to avoid stains till the water is clear. Use a dry towel soaked in water to clean the panel thoroughly.
It is recommended to clean your metal roof once a year. It may take around 2-4 hours, depending on the roof size and the cleaning technique used.