Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE is an entrance exam conducted yearly for admission into many prestigious postgraduate courses in technology and science in India. The GATE is conducted by the seven Indian institutes of technology and the Indian Institute of Science on behalf of the Human Resource Department (HRD), Government of India.
In February, this exam is conducted yearly. It is a computer-based exam of three hours duration. The GATE exam checks the comprehensive understanding of Undergraduate (UG) and post-graduate (PG) candidates in specific science branches.
And the candidates who clear the GATE examination and secure rank can get admission into direct Doctoral programs in Technology/ Engineering/ Architecture in IITs, IISC, and other popular institutes and universities in India. The marks scored in the GATE examination are valid for only three years. The marks scored in the GATE examination help in finding jobs with attractive salary packages in several Public sector undertakings ( PSUs). The GATE score is used by the PSUs to provide a job, which includes NHPC, HPCL, BHEL, BARC, NTPC, IOCL and Power Grid, etc. Know the detailed GATE Syllabus.
What is the Syllabus for IES Examination 2022?
The IES stands for Indian Engineering Services and is also known as Engineering Services Examination. It includes Engineers working for the Government of India. These are called Class-1 officers. These engineers operate a large part of the PSE which is a public sector economy like Telecommunications, Railways, Central Water Engineering, Central Engineering Services, Power, and Defence Service of Engineering. The detailed IES syllabus is mentioned below.
The IES examination is divided into three stages, these are:
- Stage 1- Engineering Services (Preliminary ) Examination.
- Stage 2- Engineering Services ( Main) examination.
- Stage 3- Interview.
Syllabus for General Studies and Engineering Aptitude for IES Examination
This paper is present in all four domains. It consists of topics which are mentioned below:
- The general principle of drawing, design, and the importance of safety.
- Engineering mathematics and Numerical analysis.
- Basics of material science and engineering.
- Current issues of national and international importance related to Economic, industrial knowledge, and social.
- Engineering Aptitude including Logical reasoning along with analytical ability.
- Quality and standards practises in production, services, and production, maintenance.
- Ethics and values in the Engineering profession.
- ICT applicable tools and their application in engineerings such as technology-based information, e-governance, and networking.
- Basics of Energy and Environment.
- Basics of Project Management 8.
Syllabus for IES Civil Engineering
- Construction- Practice, Planning & Management, Design of steel structure, Design of concrete & masonry structure, Solid Mechanics, Structural analysis, Building Materials.
- Environmental Engineering, Surveying & Geology, Hydrology, The flow of fluids, Transportation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering.
Syllabus for IES Mechanical Engineering
- Power Plant Engineering, Thermodynamics & Heat transfer, Turbo Machinery, Fluid mechanics, Renewable sources of energy, IC engines, Air conditioners, and Refrigerators.
- Manufacturing, Industrial, and maintenance engineering, Mechanisms and machines, Engineering Mechanics, Mechatronics & Robotics, Design of machine elements, and Engineering materials.
Some Important details of the IES Examination
- Exam conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- The level of the exam is National.
- Engineering is the required educational qualification.
- 21-30 is the age limit.
- The IES examination is divided into three parts namely: Preliminary, Main Exam, and Interview ( personality test).
- The preliminary examination consists of MCQs.
- The main examination is a written examination.
- This exam is conducted once a year.
- The application fee is Rs 200.
- www.upsc.gov.in is the official website.
GATE and IES are some of the most prestigious examinations in India. However, they are considered very tough. But, this is not true. Consistent effort and hard work is the key to success. You may visit the site of BYJU’S Exam Prep to know the detailed strategy for clearing these examinations.